What Type Of Information Is Collected
In the course of operating the WFN Sites, WFN may collect both Non-Personal Information and Personal Information about its users.
“Non-Personal Information” is information of an anonymous nature, including but not limited to your Internet Protocol Address (“IP Address”), the type and version of browser or operating system you may be using, and the website you may have come from and visit next. Aggregate information compiled by WFN, such as demographic statistics of our users (e.g. average age or geographical allocation of our users), number of visitors, average time spent on a WFN Site and ads clicked through, is also considered Non-Personal Information. Business contact information such as the name, title, business address, email address or telephone number of a business or professional person or an employee of an organization is also Non-Personal Information.
Non-Personal Information is collected or derived by us in the course of operating the WFN Sites. For example, our web servers may automatically collect Non-Personal Information which is provided through your browser or stored on a Cookie or through a Web Beacon when you choose to visit a WFN Site. Non-Personal Information is used by WFN as described below.
During normal website usage, it is possible to use WFN Sites without communicating any personal information. However, to make use of certain features on our sites, such as promotions, sweepstakes and contests, quizzes, personalized services, subscriptions or newsletters, users may be asked to register with the WFN Sites. As part of this voluntary registration, WFN may request contact information and other data required for operating these services.
“Personal Information” is personally identifiable information, such as your name, address, email address, birth date and gender. WFN can only collect Personal Information from you if you voluntarily provide it. By sending us a comment or suggestion, by entering any available chatroom or bulletin board, or by entering a sweepstakes, contest or promotion that is posted on a WFN Site, you will be consenting to the collection, use and distribution of your Personal Information by WFN for the purposes set out below. You are under no obligation to provide WFN with Personal Information and can access and enjoy many parts of the WFN Sites without providing any Personal Information. Among other things, the following is a representative list of reasons WFN may ask for your Personal Information:
- To administer sweepstakes, contest or promotions, select entrants, and choose prize winners;
- To determine whether WFN’s television and other services are available to you in your area;
- To respond to your questions or the comments you e-mail to us or when you contact any of our customer service representatives;
- To provide you with newsletters or other information about our programming, special offers or services;
- To distribute to sponsors and advertisers who run sweepstakes, contest or promotion and/or for purposes of marketing by our sponsors and advertisers; and
- To keep aggregate information on website use.
WFN may receive Personal Information from its business partners and other third parties, provided that such third parties confirm to us that they have obtained your consent to the disclosure of your Personal Information. WFN will not use this information except for the purposes that you have consented to with WFN’s business partners or other third parties who collected the information. WFN can rely on the representations of its business partners and other third parties that the proper consents were obtained when the Personal Information was collected.
How Your Personal Information Will Be Used By WFN
WFN will only use Personal Information for the purposes stated at the time of collection and pursuant to applicable privacy laws, or as otherwise set out in this section:
- Providing you with the services and information you have requested from us, including your use of the WFN Sites. WFN may from time to time use your Personal Information to contact you about changes, enhancements or similar notices related to the WFN Sites;
- If you indicated that you were interested in receiving offers or information from WFN or certain of our selected business partners, sponsors or advertisers, WFN may send you email materials and other mailings about products and services that WFN feels may be of interest to you. If at any time you would like to end your subscription to any such email materials, follow the directions for unsubscribing posted at the bottom of the email material;
- If you enter a sweepstakes, contest or other promotion offered on an WFN Site, WFN may, under the rules of the promotion, use your name and certain other information to administer the promotion, such as contacting, announcing and promoting the winners of the promotion;
- WFN may also use Personal Information if it has reasonable grounds to believe the information could be useful when investigating a contravention of a federal, provincial or foreign law or in order to protect or defend a legal interest; and
- WFN may ask for your permission to use your Personal Information for other purposes, for example, to send you an email newsletter, to contact your television services provider on your behalf concerning your interest in subscribing to WFN’s television network, or for other marketing purposes. WFN will only use this information for these purposes if you have provided us with consent either on a ballot that was previously filled out or by “opting-in” to such offers on any WFN online forms. If we attempt to contact you and you do not respond, by default, WFN will assume that your consent has been retracted and shall delete your Personal Information from WFN’s system.
With Whom Your Personal Information May Be Shared
Your Personal Information will not be sold or rented to anyone.
WFN will only disclose your Personal Information to third parties:
- Where you have specifically given us your consent to disclose your Personal Information for a designated purpose;
- Who are acting on our behalf as our agents, suppliers or service providers, solely to enable us to more efficiently provide you with the requested services. WFN will only provide Personal Information as is necessary in the circumstances will be provided. Such entities act under strict contractual controls, requiring them to maintain the confidentiality of all such Personal Information and to use such Personal Information solely for purposes related to the provision of the services;
- As may be set out in the Terms and Conditions applicable to a WFN Site, to facilitate the provision of such service, such as fulfilling legal requirements;
- As required by law, including by an order of any court, institution or body with jurisdiction or authority to compel the production of information, or in order to protect or defend a legal interest; or
While WFN tries to ensure its third party partners share our high standards and respect for privacy, please understand that WFN is not responsible for the content of, or the privacy practices employed by, other companies or websites.
Opting-Out of Certain Uses of your Personal Information
You may “opt-out” of WFN’s collection, use and disclosure of your Personal Information.
How Non-Personal Information Will Be Used By WFN
Non-Personal Information is used generally by WFN to monitor and improve the operation of the WFN Sites, to perform statistical analyses of the collective characteristics and behavior of our users, to measure user demographics and interests regarding specific WFN services, to describe our services to third parties such as prospective business partners and advertisers and to analyze how and where best to use our resources. No Personal Information will be disclosed during these activities.
WFN also may share this information with our affiliates, suppliers, sponsors and advertisers. WFN may use Non-Personal Information to inform our sponsors and advertisers as to the performance of a particular sponsorship (such as a contest) or advertisement or to inform our affiliates about subscriber interest in WFN’s services in a particular region or area. In such case WFN may disclose to those third-party affiliates, sponsors and advertisers the overall aggregate demographics available regarding, for example who expressed interest in WFN’s services, participated in a contest or saw and “clicked” on an advertisement. No Personal Information will be disclosed to these affiliates, sponsors and advertisers as part of this process; only information in an anonymous, aggregate form will be disclosed.
What Cookies Are and How They Are Used
WFN allows third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit the WFN Sites. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other WFN Sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit networkadvertising.org.
Please note certain features on our sites may not function if you do not accept Cookies.
An IP Address is the unique number which is assigned to every direct Internet access point. IP Addresses do not contain any Personal Information. When you, through your browser, request a web page or similar Internet information from another computer on the Internet, your browser automatically provides that computer with an IP address to which it will send the requested information.
Whenever you request a WFN web page or certain other similar WFN content, your browser automatically provides our computers with your IP Address, to which our computers will send the requested information. Each such request is logged by our computers with information including the IP Address of the computer that requested the page and is stored by our computers as needed for the purposes described in this policy.
WFN may use your IP Address to display more appropriate and relevant content and advertising, such as content and advertising based on your geographic area. Aggregate information derived from IP Addresses may be reported by WFN to its affiliates, advertisers and partners. For example, WFN may report to its advertisers the estimated total number of users accessing a particular WFN Site from a specific state.
WFN may use your IP Address to facilitate the diagnoses and remedy of a technical problem reported by you or our technical team.
Certain WFN Services may contain electronic images known as Web Beacons – sometimes called single-pixel gifs – that allow WFN to count users who have visited those pages and to deliver co-branded services. Web Beacons are not used to access your Personal Information. They are a technique used to compile aggregated statistics about WFN Site usage. Web Beacons collect only a limited set of information including a Cookie number, time and date of a page view, and a description of the page on which the Web beacon resides. Certain WFN Sites may also contain Web Beacons placed there by our advertising partners to help WFN determine the effectiveness of our Internet advertising campaigns.
How You Can Update, Access or Delete your Personal Information
At any time, you may remove your Personal Information from our database by emailing us atwith your username and “remove me” in the subject line.
Links to Other Sites and Advertisement
A WFN Site may contain links to other websites and services. While WFN tries to link only to sites and services that share our high standards and respect for privacy, please understand that WFN is not responsible for the content of, or the privacy practices employed by, other companies or websites. This policy applies only to the WFN Sites referencing this policy.
WFN will try to ensure that information about you is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, please inform WFN to whom you provided your information of any change of name, address or other information. In the event you have questions about the accuracy of factual information WFN has collected about you, you will have access to that information in order to verify and update it. If WFN has disclosed inaccurate information about you to a third party, WFN will be pleased to contact the third party in order to correct the information.
Questions, Concerns or Suggestions?